The flicker on a CRT display can occur due to problems with the electron beam which is used to light up the screen. But in laptops the mechanism used to display images on your screen is different. Laptops use a LCD display to show images on the screen. These displays are highly sensitive and can be damaged due to the slightest possible reason. The flicker in an LCD display can occur due to many reasons. Some of the reasons are listed below
- Magnetic field – note that LCD screens are highly sensitive to magnetic fields. They can be affected if a magnetic field is somewhere close to the laptop. There are devices which has a magnetic field within it which you may have not noticed by yourself. They are speakers, cell phones, desk lights or any other electronic device. These devices can generate while they are active and some others may have magnets in them which creates a constant magnetic field.
Therefore if your laptop is subjected to any kind of magnetic field for a long time period it may cause the screen to flicker.
- Software issues – some software which are installed on your computer can also cause flickering due to a malfunction of software or due to not having sufficient resources to run the software. Therefore before you install software on your computer, especially software with high graphical interface needs check the system requirements of the application and your system requirements if your computer does not meet the minimum requirements it is not wise to install the software on your computer.
- Hardware issues – the LCD can flicker due to some hardware issues too.
Sometimes your laptop maybe quite old and it needs to replace the screen. Or the inverter may have some issues. Another reason could be that the graphical drivers installed do not match the hardware.
You can identify the problem which causes the laptop screen to flicker. Identifying the problem is very important since it is easy to attend to the issue.
Here are some easy ways to fix the flickering laptop problem.
- First of all if your laptop is in a place where it is surrounded by many electronic devices, try moving them away from your laptop. Start the laptop and check whether the flickering has stopped or reduced. If it has stopped try to relocate the devices but each time check whether it makes a difference. If it still has not stopped you may have to get help from a tech support assistant. You may have to hand over the laptop for repairs.
- Check whether the graphic card is working properly. Go to Device manager and check on the Display Adapters uninstall the adapter and restart your computer, when you restart the computer the adapter will automatically reinstall.
- Finally change the resolution of your computer and see whether it is a resolution problem which caused your computer screen to flicker. Reduce the resolution to get a better view.